Unopened, they have the appearance of a red first aid kit, with a white plus sign on it and a small information applet in the area just right of the handle. MedKits comes in three different sizes:
- Small MedKit: Heals 1 bar
- Medium MedKit: Heals 3 bars
- Large MedKit: Heals 5 bars
- When the player first begins the game, a medium MedKit can be found in the back area of the starting room in the hotel.
- MedKits can be found in several fixed locations through the Banoi Island. They hang under a sign reading "First Aid".
- The players can find several merchants who sell the medium Medkit for $200 and after Act I, the large MedKit for $500.
- After Act I there is a chance that a MedKit can be obtained as loot after killing any kind of zombie.
- After picking them up one can normally replenish them by re-entering or reloading the map.
- During Act III, it is wise to stock up on Large MedKits bought from Joel Dirt, as one will use them profusely from then on.
- Xian Mei is the only Hero that can obtain a percentage bonus to MedKit healing due to her First Aid (25% bonus), Field Medicine (50% bonus) and Surgeon General (75% bonus) skills in her Survival tree.
- When using any MedKit, it immediately switches to Alcohol if one have any in the inventory. Hazardous if surrounded by hordes of zombies.
- Though the max inventory stack is 30, salvaged medkits and purchased medkits might need to be given to Jin and then re-collected to fall under one stack.
- Despite being MedKits, they look like medical syringe in the game Killing Floor when used (although with a different texture and a bigger tank).